Sometimes you only have time to put in something small. But they can still have a bit of character. I love the little old mini barn at the 1840's Farm. My mom actually used to keep her horse in it when she was a kid.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Yeow.....was doing some research in St Augustine for a book and stopped for lunch at Meehan's Backyard Island Cafe. Ordered the Monster Burger. HUGE....but so delish! Slaw, goat cheese, bacon.....not something you'd have daily (or weekly) but what a treat!
Saturday, May 9, 2015
Checking in on the little pineapple that we have been following on Facebook, it is now actually looking like a pineapple, albeit a "mini me" version. Still a long way to go.
The plant itself is also beginning to sprout "pups" (second pic). These are new little plants forming that will eventually produce a fruit themselves. This plant has 2 "pups starting so far.
A pineapple plant fruits only once.
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
A fron came off of one of the coconut palms the other day during a heavy wind. I have been trying to decide what type of support to use when I transplant my vanilla orchid. (Yes...the same plant that can produce vanilla pods.)
This morning, as I was moving the downed fron, I got to thinking that I could put at least part of it to good use.
So.....I cut off either end of the fron, leaving the center stem at the length that I desired. Then, I cut the leaves from the stem. Sealing the 2 cut ends, the stem is now ready to use as a plant support. Because I cut this one long, I will be using it for my allspice tree, replacing the shorter supports. (Replacment in progress in last photo.)
Oops....just heard another fron go down in the wind. This one will be for the vanilla orchid!
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Friday, May 1, 2015
This morning we found a tree frog in the screen room, very dehydrated. In fact, we thought he was dead. Then, when we picked him up, he showed a VERY tiny bit of movement. So, I put him in a shallow bowl of room temp water, periodically spooning water over his entire body and being careful not to get his little nose submerged.
A little more than 3 hours later, this little dude went from death's door to what you see below. He is now enjoying life once again, in the garden.
Monday, April 27, 2015
The Plumeria, or "sticks" as we affectionately call them, are blooming. At least one is.
I just found out that, although the rest of the plant is toxic, the blossom is supposed to be edible. Anyone with experience in this?