Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Last of the Harvest

Unfortunately, it is that time of year again. Harvesting the last of the garden. Although I continue to have some various Italian lettuce in yet (which I will need to cover at night once the temperature drops), I removed the mini gourds and cayenne peppers that were left.

Because so many of the peppers came in late, most were still green. HUGE, but green. However if I just set them out in a cool place, out of the way on a counter, they should turn red and hopefully have some heat. Once the peppers have turned, I will harvest and save some seeds then dry the peppers. After they are good and dry, into the grinder they will go to be turned into cayenne pepper powder.

I have been giving some of the cute little gourds to friends for fall decorating. Some I will dry, some I will harvest seeds from for next year.


It should be mentioned that if you use a coffee grinder to grind spices, designate that grinder for spices and herbs only. Do to the oils left behind, if you were to go ahead and grind coffee beans in it, you may find a surprise in taste. (Pepper flavored coffee anyone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment