Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Making Wine Vinegar

 I decided to try my hand at making wine vinegar. I grabbed a bottle from my parent's stash...a bottle that they didn't particularly care for, and began the process. From my experience, here in Florida anyway, it is best to do this when the weather is cool. Otherwise, you risk mold. (Yes...it happened to me. I tried to make another batch late summer, and ended up with a moldy mix within a few weeks.)

In a non reactive bowl, add your wine and a little vinegar. I used organic apple cider vinegar.



Stir the vinegar and wine mixture. Then loosely cover with a clean towel. Continue to stir twice a day. After a few weeks, maybe sooner, depending on conditions, the mixture should begin to ferment and begin the process of changing into vinegar. Monitor daily.



When the scent and taste is where you want it, bottle in a CLEAN bottle. I kept the bottle the wine came in, removed the labels and thoroughly cleaned.




No comments:

Post a Comment